DAS (very proper) BAG
This product is currently sold out.
- We're excited to share with you our first (proper) BAG!
- DAS (we really love it very much ) BAG is...
- MORE reasons why DAS BAG is utterly stupendous and good
(Our first batch is sold out, but a new batch will be ready to ship in August 2021)
DAS BAG is 9 years of repressed bag-making ambition, manifested as a handmade leather WEEKENDER.
Shoes are about the most complex thing you can do with leather, so we've long suspected that a bag might be within our capabilities. But it was only recently, when it came time to retire the luggage we use on our Berlin-Porto-Berlin shoemaking expeditions, that we decided to give it a go.
We needed something robust but soft and flexible; capable of being squeezed under the seat in front, and spacious enough to carry all we need for a 3-to-4 day trip.
We needed it to be as high quality as our shoes. Pretty much everything we've seen in the premium bag market leaves us feeling underwhelmed. But that's exactly how we felt about the shoe market a decade ago; a feeling that spurred us to create the most comfortable shoe we know.
And we needed it to be minimal, elegant, ethical & aesthetical... because of course we did.
The result is a very proper bag that is gorgeous and haptic, functional and timeless (a decades-proof investment; not only durable, but a classic design, immune to the whimmery of fashion).
We've trialled the first prototype in travel across pre-lockdown Europe, and we've trialled the final bag in journeys from bedroom to sitting room, and all around Berlin. The experience has been lovely. No matter what we throw at DAS BAG, it excels at being a bag. And we've even come to feel emotional about it.
We hope you will too.
- A handmade holdall, whose soft flexibility will serve you well for one night or several
- Full-grain, pull-up, German bull hide; a rich, dynamic leather that ages beautifully, creating a deliciously lived-in patina that whispers the tales of your travel.
- Minimal, clean, elegant, enduring - its timeless design compliments any outfit. Even those you'll wear 20 years from now.
- Robust as hell - there's a good chance THIS is the bag your grandkids will find in your wardrobe and plead to borrow for university.
- Handmade in Portugal, in the same town as our shoe atelier, with the experienced hands of our craftsmen ensuring superb quality.
- Crafted with natural materials sourced only in Europe. We endeavour that our production is as sustainable as possible - with the high environmental and worker standards of the European Union being fundamental to our decision to keep production close to home.
- We're conscious the leather we use is precious and so we aim to waste little and use as much of the hide as we can. The tanning process is very natural, with no artificial finishing to make the leather appear uniform. As such, every part of the bag may be a little different, in texture and appearance - the bag remains as various and unprocessed as the hide of leather it comes from, and this variance will develop over time. It follows that any photos of the bag can only be considered a snapshot of a single moment in the dynamic life of one individual piece.
- If you can find a more gorgeously tactile NEW leather weekender, and if we agree with you that it is superior to ours, we'll give you your money back*. Honestly, we'd be delighted to know that there's an even better leather out there. Consider it a sourcing fee (*offer stands within 6 months of purchase, and your more gorgeously tactile weekender has to be placed into our fussy hands for assessment).
- DAS (we hope you like it Mum) BAG is crafted from the same leather as DAS COGNAC BOOT, our best-seller since 2014. And, just as its leather is tried-and-tested, so too is its design, with the first iteration of DAS BAG having already accompanied us as far as the Azores.
- The cotton lining is an elegant (almost Kitten Testicle) Grey.
- The removable strap is adjustable from 67cm to 132cm. And it wouldn't be a bag from the makers of the most comfortable shoes in the known universe, if it didn't come with the most comfortable memory foam strap pad of any bag in the perceivable galaxy.
- Unlike most bags these days, DAS BAG does NOT have 32 separate compartments designed to hold various bits of technological superfluousness. Rather, the inside is a cavernous space, with just 3 small side pockets.
- It has one externally-accessible shoe pocket, which can also be used for dirty underwear / face mask / nappy; anything you need quick access to (or disposal of).
- It has an internal key holder, with detachable ATHEIST-branded key fob.
- With no rigid structure, the dimensions can vary but, at its fullest and with handles collapsed, it measures: Length 50 cm x Height 29 cm x Width 32. As such, it's perfect to fly with as cabin luggage; we've taken it on several airlines - Lufthansa, Ryanair, TAP, British Airways, Iberia, Aer Lingus, Virgin and it comfortably fits in the overhead locker or (if filled with soft contents) below the seat in front of you. If you've ever had the misfortune to wait for luggage at midnight in Porto Airport, or battled for overhead bin space on the only direct flight from Berlin, then you'll know how much of a relief that "goes-beneath-the-seat-in-front" quality is.
- The zipper and fittings are brass metal, including the metal studs upon which the bag stands.
- One size fits all... a mind-blowing development for we shoemakers!
*Expected delivery is March 2021*
If we can help with any questions, please don't hesitate: email@example.com